Thursday, May 8, 2014

In honor of Throwback Thursday & College Graduations coming up...


In honor of Throwback Thursday (#tbt) and graduations coming up... I thought I would take a moment to share my own college graduation story:

As many of you may or may not know, my dream was to graduate from Virginia Tech, where I began my college education! But little did I know at the time, God had another plan for me and I got pregnant with my sweet little Pete. But I made the decision to keep pushing towards my goal to graduate college, moved to northern Va to live with my now husband and transferred to George Mason University! 

It was something that I always knew I would do for myself! As easy as it would have been to give up and choose not to go back to school, I was determined and driven and wasn't going to look back and have regrets one day! It wasn't easy... And it took some extra time, but I did it! 

When I finished my last class in August 2010, I was 8 months pregnant with Nathan! I actually received my diploma in the mail, the day that I got home from the hospital with him! My children and growing family have obviously been my number 1 priority, so I still need to find time to frame and hang my diploma... (Which has been hiding in my closet for the past 4 years) 

I think at one point, a part of me was almost embarrassed that it had taken me so long to achieve my bachelor's. Instead of really celebrating my hard work and achievement, I was comparing myself to all my fellow high school graduates who were receiving their Master's degrees in the time it took me just to get my Bachelor's. But now that I'm a little older, more confident in myself and proud of all of my amazing achievements-- including my beautiful family-- I figured I would look back at what I did and be proud to share my accomplishments!

Moral of the story is this: Don't ever give up on something that you have set out to achieve! You're almost always going to run into obstacles on your way, but whether you choose to give up or keep pushing yourself, is totally up to YOU and ONLY YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment